Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Oats and Pea Nut Masala

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Oats, the healthiest intake at any time of the day. And you can be more creative with it instead of sticking only to the porridge recipe.
I always try to add Oats in the food whenever and where ever it is possible. In my kitchen Oats usually goes into chapati atta. I add it with instant dosa batter, I add it with idly batter, I make oats idli, oats dosa(Powdered oats as a main ingredient) I tried it adding in parathas, cookies. But I don't know why I was reluctant to use it in Upma or masala. When ever I saw the recipes in my blogger friend;s blog, I always saved the recipe to try it soon, but that soon never came!!
Last week when I came across This  recipe, I decided to make it the same day. But oats was over in the kitchen(First time my kitchen was Oatsless!! )  I rushed to the MORE got 2 packets and before my daughter was back from school it was ready. I loved it. My daughter was not much happy as she does not like the taste of pea nuts. But I am sure if I replace the pea nuts with almonds next time, she will love it.
Thanks Dershana for sharing this wonderful recipe.
Here is the photo and the recipe:
(The original recipe has Jumbo oats and the normal one.)


Ingredients :
Oats - 2 cups
Roasted peanuts - 2 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Green Chilly - 2 Slit into two
Curry leaves -few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Lime juice - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Fresh or dry coconut - grated, 2 tbsp
Fresh coriander - handful
Method :
Add 1 tbsp oil to the thick bottomed kadai, Keep it on flame. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. After half  minute, add chopped onions, fry till transparent. Add green chilly and roasted peanuts. Fry for a minute. Add Salt and lime juice. Mix well. 
Add the oats. Mix well and fry for few seconds. Add sugar and sprinkle some water(2 tbsp) Close the lid and cook for 2 minutes. Open the lid, add dry coconut and fresh coriander. Adjust the seasoning.  Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes.
Remove from the fire. Serve it with hot cup of tea or coffee.
Sending it to 
(Which was started by Kiran.. )


Keep Smiling,

12 comments:

kitchen queen said...

lovely innovative recipe.

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious and great looking masala...Thanks for sending..

Hayley said...

Mouthwatering...will make very soon ...did you use powder oats? or whole?

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Nive I love the recipe..sure this is healthy thanks for sharing dear.

Umm Mymoonah said...

This sounds very healthy and looks very delicious.

Unknown said...

just like poha upma...with oats is a wonderful idea....with peanuts its very yummy but I am sure almonds will make a good sustitute :))

Check my blog today for a new event....hope u will participate..
http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com/

Dershana said...

Thanks for trying out my recipe, Nive. Would've loved it even more if you had mentioned the friend's that is 'my' name or blog's name
;-) too.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Thanks all,
@ Dershana, I have already given the recipe link in my post at the beginning of the post only.
Sorry, I forgot to leave comment in your blog, which I do usually whenever I follow a recipe from other blog and post it.
Will add the name also now.

sra said...

This is really unusual, I have a bit of oats to finish and I'll try this.

sharada said...

even i prepare something similar to this so that i can eat those bland yet healthy oats.
You have very good recipe collection.

Kitchen cabinets said...

I love your recipes dear.Its very sizzling as you have done magic with masalas.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Thanks all,
@Jagruti: I used the whole oats.(Quakers oat)

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog