Friday, March 26, 2010

Instant Vermicelli Idly















Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
A wonderful, healthy, tasty and easiest breakfast for the whole family. Even you can feed this to 9 months infant, who has started to eat just now. I always love to try Idly s in different size bowls, as kids will enjoy it.

But, my both daughters won't like it at all!! I don't know the reason, but they both have it either two or one idly. So I do not make this more for them. Ask me?? I love to have it any time. 
Ingredients :
Very thin vermicelli - 1 cup
Bombay rawa or semolina - 1 cup
Fresh curds - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Eating soda or Bi carb soda - 1/8 tsp
Carrot or potato - 1 medium, cleaned and grated (not in the photo, but usually I add it)
Ghee - 1 tbsp to roast
Oil to apply to the mould
Roast the semolina and vermicelli (Seperately) till you get a very good aroma. Allow it to cool. When it is cold, add all other ingredients and mix it properly to make it into nice batter. While doing this, Keep the cooker with 1 cup water on heat. 
Apply oil to the mould and pour the batter in to the moulds(Each mould will hold 2 tbsp batter). Keep it in the cooker and steam it without wait on the cooker for 12 to 15 minutes.
Once done, serve hot with ghee, chutney powder, coconut chutney or sauce. 

Sending this to Suma's  on going event, JIHVA - Breakfast which is linked to Indira's Main announcement-JIHVA
Keep Smiling,

19 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

Hey.. this is yummyy... very new to me.. looks wonderful n perfect.. thanks for the recipe.. :)

Deepa said...

hey thats a quickie..love the recipe..

Unknown said...

A very healthy recipe and can be eaten by a toddler as well. Thanks for posting this one.

Sarah Naveen said...

So easy to make..and looks so yummy!!

Neetz said...

new to me and i guess i need to try it soon :)

Neetz said...

new to me and i guess i need to try it soon :)

Pari Vasisht said...

A nice quick fix breakfast item.

Soma Pradhan said...

nice one..Even I make them a lot

Priya Suresh said...

Its has been ages i prepared idly with vermicelli, time to make some...beautiful and filling breakfast..

Ms.Chitchat said...

Never tried this version,looks quite tasty. Thanks for sharing.

Hayley said...

Nice and lovely..new to me!! always odd one there isn't it?..:-))

Veggie Hut said...

quick and easy.. a healthy breakfast!!

Aruna Manikandan said...

Healthy and quick recipe

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Yummy, simple and quick

Suma Gandlur said...

I used to make them earlier and stopped completely for no reasons. :( My daughter also is not fond of regular idlis but enjoys ragi ones.
Love the healthy entry, Nivedta.

Unknown said...

The plate looks cute with the idly and ghee. Creative recipe.

harini-jaya said...

good one...cant guarantee my kids will eat it either...but gotto try..

R said...

this is totall new to me, looks nice!

Ash said...

Sounds interesting..... Came here through the JIHVA round up..... I felt it was an awesome entry.... Which was unique to me.... I dont know, since your kids are not that fond of it, I really do know how it tastes..... Is it pleasing??? But since u say, u like it anytime... I guess it must be sure shot nothing less than awesome.... Anyways, to find answers I need to try this ASAP...... KUDOS!!!!!

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog